MPD Releases the Names of Five Additional Decedents in the Washington Navy Yard Shooting
(Washington, DC)- On Monday, September 16, 2013, at approximately 8:23 am, members of the First District received a call for the report of the sound of gunshots in 1333 Isaac Hull Avenue, Southeast, Washington, D.C., on the grounds of the Washington Navy Yard. Upon their arrival, First District and Special Operations Division members were directed to Building #197, for the report of an “Active Shooter”. Active Shooter team assembled, and began a search of the building for victims and the suspect.
Investigation into this offense has revealed that 12 employees were shot to death by Mr. Aaron Alexis inside of Building #197, while in the lobby, and on third and fourth floors. The suspect in this case, Mr. Aaron Alexis, was located inside of Building #197, and after firing multiple rounds at law enforcement members, he was shot to death by officers.
This case is being handled by the Federal Bureau of Investigations with assistance of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch and the Crime Scene Investigation Division. The motive for this case at this time is unknown.
The Metropolitan Police Department has released the names of five additional decedents who were victims in the Washington Navy Yard shooting.
The decedents have been identified as:
• 59 year-old Michael Arnold of Lorton, Virginia
• 53 year-old Sylvia Frasier of Waldorf, Maryland
• 62 year-old Kathy Gaarde of Woodbridge, Virginia
• 73 year-old John Roger Johnson of Derwood, Maryland
• 50 year-old Frank Kohler of Tall Timbers, Maryland
• 46 year-old Kenneth Bernard Proctor of Waldorf, Maryland
• 61 year-old Vishnu Shalchendia Pandit of North Potomac, Maryland
Five additional decedents have been identified as:
• 51 year-old Arthur Daniels of Southeast, Washington, DC
• 51 year-old Mary Francis Knight of Reston, Virginia
• 58 year-old Gerald L. Read of Alexandria, Virginia
• 54 year-old Martin Bodrog of Annandale, Virginia
• 52 year old Richard Michael Ridgell of Westminster, Maryland